Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

We have a 38 year old Paso fino who lost s left eye to

Customer Question

We have a 38 year old Paso fino who lost his left eye to cancer three years ago and is doing fine without it. However his right eye was weeping and the vet said it had a ulcer and was given and antibotic ointment to clear it up and then later we used the same ointment except with a steroid in it. The ulcer is gone but it still weeps. It seems to flare up later in the day.
any suggestions as this is his only eye. Otherwise he is in great shape.
Thank you for your time.
Debbie
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 12 months ago.

Good Morning Debbie and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am assuming that your vet used a flourescien stain to make sure the corneal ulcer has healed so the steroid ointment can be used which will decrease the inflammation. If the discharge is clear, then this is normal considering the trauma that sweet Patton's eye has gone through. My only concern would be if the discharge is yellow or puslike which would indicate an infectious process. In this case, I would also use a systemic antibiotic to be sure that the infection is under control.

The healing process, DEbbie, in an older horse , is slower and it appears, if the discharge is clear that Patton is in the healing process. He may have some sensitivity to sunlight due to scarring from the corneal ulcer that may cause this flare up later in the day. Continue with this treatment, Debbie but have Patton rechecked in a week to be sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****