DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

I have an 8 year old quarter horse gelding that a year ago

Customer Question

Hi I have an 8 year old quarter horse gelding that a year ago developed odd urinary symptoms. He would hold his tail up and off to the side elevating it at times as though he was passing gas, at the same time he would position himself to urinate and then just dribble a small amount of urine often times leaving his penis about half way out. I had him palpated, catherized, and they did numerous blood draws trying to find any
abnormalities. Nothing was out of the normal ranges and after a few days his symptoms went away. I did have the vet out after a couple weeks and his blood draws were consistent with the first findings. Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 12 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I have heard of this happening. I am assuming you had him checked for a "bean" or a super dirty sheath. This is generally the first thing that is looked at. If that was taken care of and obviously major urinary tract issues were ruled out by your vet, then I wonder if he actually had some back or pelvic pain? I have seen horses with kissing spines or other back pain who posture to urinate and then are painful so don't actually urinate. The tail to side also is an indication of back or pelvic pain. In addition to being a horse vet, I also do chiropractic on horses and we treat horses with those type of symptoms for back and pelvic issues. (After ruling out medical problems first just like you did). It likely improved after a few days just like when you strain your back, it improves some after a few days. You might consider having him evaluated by a chiropractor (I recommend trying to find one who is also a veterinarian) and see if there are any range of motion/ spasm issues to be adjusted on his hind end. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi did you get my response re having his back checked ?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 12 months ago.

No I did not. Can you reply again with your comment or question and I'd be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry that I wasn't available for aphone call. Can you reply to this thread with your question?