horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

Just accidentally discovered huge abcess (?) under senior

Customer Question

just accidentally discovered huge abcess (?) under senior Peruvian Paso stallion's throat, looks like proud flesh has formed, does not wear halter so no catching himself on anything....slight draining & quite ugly....has not shown any signs, appetite great....what is it?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does not appear to be a puncture wound. No halter, 5' no climb horse fence, no blood/hair on any T posts.
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am in internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear about the abscess under your stallion's jaw. The abscess could actually be caused by any traumatic injury, for example rubbing his jaw on something when he was itchy and getting a foreign body in there could cause it. However, The best thing to make sure it is not Strangles (lymph nodes in this area can drain and abscess), it would be best to have a veterinarian come and examine it and culture the area to make sure of what the cause is, possibly ultrasound to make sure there is no foreign body there, and prescribe antibiotics. In the meantime it is a good idea to take your horse's temperature regularly and call your vet if there is a fever and also to keep the area clean twice daily.Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to check if you received my answer? Please rate my answer if you found it to be helpful, otherwise I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have!

Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check to see if you have any questions? Please click the "accept" button or rate my answer if you found it to be helpful. Even though you placed a deposit, experts do not receive credit for their time until the answer is accepted. Otherwise, I would be happy to continue answering any questions you have!