Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I HAVE A 29 YR OLD QUARTER HORSE GELDING, S INSIDE GASKIN

Customer Question

I HAVE A 29 YR OLD QUARTER HORSE GELDING, HIS INSIDE GASKIN MUSCLE LEFT HIND LEG THE MUSCLE IS HARD AND ACTUALLY SHIFTED FROM ONE HIND LEG TO THE OTHER.BLOOD TEST WAS TAKEN AND ALL VITALS WERE ALL RIGHT. I DID TREAT FOR LYMES FOR A MONTH SEEN NO IMPROVEMENT, WILL STAND WITH ONE LEG COCKED OUT TO SIDE, TRAVELS KIND OF SIDE WAYS. HAS A GREAT APPETITE.WOULD NOT LOOK 29YRS OLD IF NOT FOR LEG PROBLEM. DOSE HAVE ARTHRITIS IN ONE FRONT LEG BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO BOTHER. TWO VETS HAVE LOOKED AT AND DON'T SEEM TO KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.OTHER THAN SAY HE IS 29YRS OLD. I DON'T BUY THAT IS THE REASON. WAS A SHOW HORSE WITH GREAT CARE. ANY IDEAS ? YOU WILL HAVE NO LEGAL LIABILITY TO THIS HORSE. I WILL TRY ANYTHING ? THANKS ***** *****
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The possibilities for this condition that is affecting Rob is as follows:

Trauma from an earlier period could cause heavy fibrous scar tissue to deposit in this area. If this is the case, hosing and ice packs will help resolve this but not all of it. the fibrous tissue will remain causing Rob some problems in mobility.

There have been reports of muscles hardening due to a tumor underneath this muscle causing this muscle to stretch and form scar tissue and fibrous material. The only way to know this is an Ultrasound which will tell you what is happening in this leg or the other leg. You did not say if any diagnostics were done but a muscle biopsy would give you more information along with an Ultrasound and possibly, an xray.

Bot***** *****ne is that further diagnostics needs to be done so you can find the cause for this condition in your sweet Rob.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****