Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Both my mares have had 3 months off in the paddock 1

Customer Question

hi both my mares have had 3 months off in the paddock 1 particular paddock has not been poo picked butlater harrowed I bought them in on Monday both mares have soft fluidy swelling of the lower flank area both sides and tender to touch, I wormed Tuesday as was due with Equesr pramox swelling a little smaller but still there and still tender both mares seem very lethargic too not there usual selves I normally double dose wormer this time of year should I use a tape worm variety ?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is helpful to worm Uma and Rosey with something such as Panacur to kill tapeworms but this is unlikely the cause for the swellings that you see. It is possible that they have both injured a certain area that may be abscessing since it is painful to the touch for both.

I would be sure to check their temperature with a human rectal thermometer and anything over 104 indicates an infection. Normal is 101-102F.

For now, give Uma and Rosy Butazldin 2 gms every 12 hrs and hose and/or ice these swollen areas to see if they will resolve on their own. I believe this is either trauma or an abscess building which may require your vet to drain these. It will help to give Uma and Rosy Penicillin G, available at the farm supply, every 12 hrs and dose according to the bottle. If there is an infection, this will help resolve this.

Have your vet check the in a few days if this has not helped.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta