Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My mare has crusty yellow build up in both ears.cleaned them

Customer Question

My mare has crusty yellow build up in both ears.cleaned them out last night with witch hazel then applied vetericyn. this morning some more build up and ears red and irritated.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

THis crusty build up is usually caused by a staph infection. The staph bacteria is normal flora on their skin and when there is a good environment of moisture and warmth, these over grow causing this discharge and crusts. The best thing to do is to clean them out twice per day using Betadine that can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. This will dry out this area so the bacteria cannot grow and it will clear up. This must be painful for Galaxy so if you have some Butazoldin on hand, give her 2 gms every 12 hrs for a few days to help her past this discomfort.

If this does not clear up within a few days, have your vet examine Galaxy to be sure we have not missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Lou Anne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Galaxy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta