Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My 26 year old gelding had a mild colic (first time) last

Customer Question

My 26 year old gelding had a mild colic (first time) last week, while he was under sedation the vet power floated his teeth. Now he will barely eat and seems to have trouble swallowing. The vet said his teeth were fine. Now, 5 days later, his shoulders are trembling, still won't eat much at all, and lays down much more often, although I hear gut sounds and there's no sweat or high pulse. I am at wits end. He's been treated for ulcers with Gastro Guard for the last week, and has still had to have Banamine every day.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My concern for Snoopy is that he may have had more than a mild colic and he is now feeling the effects of the stress caused by the sedation and teeth floating. The fact that he is laying down indicates that he is still in pain despite the Banamine that has been given. I would have your vet come and recheck Snoopy and run blood work since these symptoms are telling us that something more serious is going on. This could be related to the more serious colic , which is hard to know without xrays, or a case of founder secondary to the stress of his condition. I worry, due to his age, that there may be something much more serious going on with Snoopy and only further diagnostics will determine the cause and best treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

You are very welcome! I hope your sweet Snoopy can get past this!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. Loretta, just to follow up, Snoopy died two days ago, the vet thinks he had a tumor. He never regained his appetite, but was mobile until the end.

Oh my...I am so sorry!! I could tell how much you loved sweet Snoopy!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and precious Snoopy!!!