Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse seems healthy and eating well but in morning has

Customer Question

my horse seems healthy and eating well but in morning has white clear frothy mucus in nostrils. Should I be concerned? It disappears after he is turned out during day
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since this discharge is white, this merely means that there is some congestion that is minor in the nasal cavity or sinus. This is common during this time of the year when the weather changes and is not worrisome unless your guy has a weak immune system. Most healthy horses can fight this off without treatment and do well. Rarely, this can turn into an infection and this would show a yellow pus like disacharge and possibly coughing which would require veterinary treatment and testing. For now ,just watch your guy...from what you describe he will probably get past this on his own.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta