Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My horse came in yesterday with a cut on her leg and hoof on

Customer Question

Hi, my horse came in yesterday with a cut on her leg and hoof mark on her hock.. Trotted lame then we cold hosed for 30 minutes and was a lot better. We gave her a little banamine that night. Today she trotted a lot better still sore. The vet came out and flexed and she showed no signs of discomfort but didn't not nearly as bad as she did yesterday .. He wants to wait to do X-rays if she isn't better by Monday .. Should I wait or could it be more serious
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question this evening.

I am very sorry for your concerns about Hollin. From your comments, I believe it is fine to wait a few more days to see if she continues to improve. If there was a fracture, or significant damage to tendons &/or ligaments, your mare would not show such a quick & notable improvement. Trust your veterinarian. I like that he was not quick to charge you for radiographs that may not be necessary.

Continue to hose the area, & provide gentle exercise, perhaps 30 minutes of hand walking twice a day. A couple more days of bute or banimine would be appropriate, as well.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

I see you have viewed my response. I just want you to know that you can continue to ask questions, or continue in any way that will be of help to you. Be back tomorrow morning if you have any, but I am going off line for the evening now.

Thank you again.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. Just wanted to check on how Hollin is doing today. Is she doing better, or did the vet come out to do x rays?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.