Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I'm looking at 9 year old gelding with a sway back

Customer Question

I'm looking at 9 year old gelding with a sway back Owners say its no problem should I be concerned
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

A sway back is a conformational problem, it often results from the soft tissues and ligaments around the back bone being looser causing the back to dip. Horses are affected to varying degrees, but it can have an effect on the types of work the horse can perform. Certainly saddles need to be very well fitted and excessive strain should be avoided such as by having a rider that is too heavy. Usually the ability to jump is limited. However, even the most severely affected horses are able to be ridden as pleasure horses.

So, I would just make sure the exercise you plan is appropriate for the severity of the deformity (the horses owner should have an idea about the horses limitations).

Good luck and enjoy

Dr Dan Makin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

No problem!

Good luck