Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I know there are different types of seromas. But in general

Customer Question

I know there are different types of seromas. But in general if a 2 year old reining horse that "has always been sound" and had "clean X-rays" as a yearling develops a seroma over his left carpus "from hitting himself in his turn arounds" during his 2 year old year, will it likely affect him long term? We rode him and he definitely appears sounds right now. It is not incredibly tender to palpation, but he does kind of step around a little when you mess with it (hard to tell if he is just being a 2 year old or if it bothers him). Also, he does have a very small scar near both knees that makes us think this occurred from an injury. The person we are looking to purchase the horse from is a trustworthy individual in which we know on a personal basis, but you never know. We have also spoken with the vet who diagnosed the horse via an US who confirms the issue is only cosmetic, but we do not know this vet at all, and he is friends with the owner of the horse. We were hoping it would be reasonable to take their word and not have to spend $1,000 on a vet exam and X-rays of our own.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

This is a very hard situation to advise you of, and personally I would look at getting an impartial veterinary surgeon to examine the area to confirm that it is cosmetic and not an indication of an active lesion, bone fracture or degenerative joint.

It is an area that can scar easily and a joint can appear thickened long term as a result of repeated trauma and long term there will be no issues with regard to performance.

But, you are going to purchase a very young horse, for a decent sum of money that in the worse case scenario in a few months/yrs will develop an issue with its carpus. My advice is to air on the side of caution and either walk away or get the leg checked by someone you trust and has no influence over the horse or its owners.

Good luck

Dr Dan Makin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice, I kind of assumed that is what you would recommend. I did have another question - how do you feel about the back on track products? I have only heard good things but am skeptical. If his seroma is not a major issue and we end up purchasing him, do you think he would benefit from a knee boot? If it is only cosmetic, the knee boot probably wouldn't resolve the seroma, correct?
Thanks,
Julie
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

If the seroma is induced by trauma/leg clipping then a protective boot may allow for things to settle and swelling to reduce. There are many products suited for this function and certainly I haven't heard anything derogatory about the Back on Track products. Permanent scarring or thickening won't resolve with the boot, but it may prevent worsening in the area.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

No problem,

Good luck