nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have extensive experience in all species.
60269376

We rescued a mare in April. She is a paso fino. Her stomach

Customer Question

We rescued a mare in April. She is a paso fino. Her stomach is huge right now. Are there any simple tests for pregnancy? Her legs are so thin and her waist so large, I am afraid she is going to break or hurt her legs.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

If you are suspicious of pregnancy, then we do have a few diagnostic options. The ideal one would be to have a pregnancy check ultrasound. with your local vet. This would confirm your suspicions, give you an idea of how far along she is, and also can help you determine if there is anything else afoot (ie if she was distended from abdominal fluid instead of pregnant). Otherwise, in regards to "simple tests", we can diagnose pregnancy by blood sample. In that case, we'd be testing for Oestrone sulphate assuming she hasn't been mated since you have owned her. So, that would be our best non-invasive option if you were not keen to ultrasound.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )