DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

Tendons boots were left on horses forelimbs all night. At

Customer Question

Tendons boots were left on horses forelimbs all night. At first there was swelling of the tissues in between the two straps. Massaged them and then put her on the walker with brushing boots and legs were cool and hard. After standing in stable for 3 hours hard lumps have appeared below the bottom strap position, just above fetlock joint. One slightly warm with slight swelling at back
(windgally). Have now hosed and given 2 sachets of bute and going to turn out for afternoon. Should I bandage overnight? Continue with the bute? Horse is sound but is a showjunper - when can next be jumped?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. It sounds like she has some low mild bandage induced tendon bows. So mild inflammation of the superficial flexor tendon from the pressure of the boots. I would recommend continuing the 2 grams of bute one to two times per day for 3 days. Cold hose every day. And poultice or support wrap every night. I'd recommend hand walking or small paddock (not large pasture turnout). Do all if this for 4-5 days. No jumping for 5-7 days. Call vet out if swelling is not improving or if horse becomes lame. I hope this helps. Best wishes.