Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My daughters pony has had a persistant cough few weeks which

Customer Question

my daughters pony has had a persistant cough for a few weeks which seems to be getting worse. My vetinarian has prescribed ventapulmin and anti biotics neither have made any differance. the cough appears mainly during strenuous exercise and when eating . His stable is spotless no hay only haylidge , clean shaving every day and mucked out when pony is on turnout and leaving plenty of time between mucking out and brining him in. His teeth have been checked and were in a poor condition but now floated and he has been wormed , my vet is going to scope him next week and I am very concerned for his wellbeing : ( Cathy
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Cathy and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This cough could be due to many things such a an allergic reaction, infectious disease from a Fungus , bacteria or virus, heart disease, parasites or tumors. Since there has not been any response to the antibiotics, scoping and a tracheal wash with cultures is the next step to pinpoint exactly what is causing this so the correct treatment can be given to River to ease his distress. Until you get the results of these tests, it is hard to know what will resolve this for your sweet River.

Does that make sense to you, Cathy?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****