Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse is running a 102.3 tempeture. or weather has

Customer Question

my horse is running a 102.3 tempeture. or weather has changed with some storms we have has. she ate her grain but would not eat her hay. a little grass was eaten in the pasyure, but she is standing in the shade with her head down. I have some penicilian I was going to give her a shot, just looking to see the right dose
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This temperature is normal for Baily...anything over 104 would be significant. You can give Pencillin G every 12 hrs as a preventative at a dose of 1 ml per every 100 pounds every 12 hrs. I worry that Baily may be suffering from something else such as a mild colic so it is also good to give her Butazolidin 2 gms every 12 hrs as an anti inflammatory agent. Feed her a bran mash with a small amount of grain for a few days to help her past this.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much

You are very welcome!! I know Baily is in good hands....I hope she feels better soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta