Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
75359699

My horse will not put any weight on s left back leg, so he

Customer Question

my horse will not put any weight on his left back leg, so he hopes on the other three, he holds his leg off the ground and keeps lifting it to his belly. I see no cuts or swelling, he is however getting very tight up in the back end . Still has a great appetite and is drinking 2 pails of water a day, he has had abbess in his front hoof before, but has never been this sore, any idea to what it might be
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am Dr A And would lvoe to help. are you available?

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

my first instinct from your brief description is that your horse has another abscess. All we can tell with certainty at this point though is that something hurts alot in that foot. Other possibilities can include a nail in the sole, a broken bone/fracture of the bone in the foot, or a very bad strain of a ligament within the foot. The most likely scenarios are either a broken foot , most often seen from kicking the wall, or an abscess.

Can you elicit any pain when you press anywhere on the foot?

Abcesses become most uncomfortable when they are most mature and ready to erupt.

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

best treatment now is a daily soak with water betadine and epsom salts, and then wrapping the foot over night in a poultice.

soak daily until something errupts. if it does not erupt, you will need your vet to dig it out. You dont want him standing on three legs for too long.

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

How did things go with your horse ?