Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

I have two snotty thoroughbreds one 2 year old filly- one 3

Customer Question

I have two snotty thoroughbreds one 2 year old filly- one 3 year old gelding have had on various penicillian and tried sputolysin in which it dried up for couple weeks back snotting again been over 120 days my vet says let it take its course how long?? killing me to watch and do nothing
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a crusty snot when I clear the nostril couple hours later it flemmy mucus
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening, and thanks for the question.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problem with your horses. I can certainly understand your frustration, especially with seeing them have to endure this for so many months! I would think that whatever is occurring would have taken it's course by now. I've got a few ideas for you to consider, but I need a bit more information from you first, please.

1): When did this initially start, and did it start with just one of the horses?

2): Have any of them had a fever associated with the runny nose?

3): How are they all doing otherwise, as far as appetite, attitude, etc.?

4): Have there been any other type of antibiotics used besides the Penicillins?

5): What is there living environment like (stall with paddock, open pasture, etc.)?

Thanks, ***** *****'m looking forward to your reply.

-Dan C.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both same time stall mates. But stalls have high walls. Bricks between. Never a temp. Appetite is very good. Normal attitude tribrissen tabs as well as smz / tmp 960 tabs. Arlington race track stalls

Thanks for the quick reply.

One more quick question, however: has your Vet run any type of diagnostics, such as bloodwork, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 times on two year old filly 3 times on 3 year old. Nothing both show very normal

Thanks again!

As this has been going on for such a length of time, and it seems as if it's not responding to the antibiotic choices, there is a distinct possibility that whatever the organism is that is causing the problem has built up a resistance toward the Penicillins and SMZ's. A quick, easy and relatively inexpensive solution would be for you to consider discussing with your Vet that he/she obtain some nasal swabs of the mucous, and submit it to a lab for what is called a culture and sensitivity. This test not only identifies the offending organism, but after the organism is grown in the lab from the cultures, it is exposed to a broad array of various antibiotics, which then helps to determine which antibiotic will kill the bacteria. It also shows which antibiotics aren't working. We are seeing more and more antibiotic resistance due to the over use of antibiotics when they aren't particularly required. But as this condition with your horses has been going on for such a long time, I think it should be addressed at this point. Another reason for antibiotic failure is that often the antibiotic wasn't used long enough, and the bacteria has created it's own resistance and the antibiotic is no longer effective.

Think about discussing this with your Vet, and hopefully this will lead to a final solution to the problem.

Again, thanks for asking, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan C.

Any further questions?

It's been a pleasure working with you.

-Dan C.