Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

Our horse had a runny nose and it was so we knew it was

Customer Question

Our horse had a runny nose and it was green so we knew it was infection and could just tell she didn't feel good. We have given her 2 injections 14cc's of penicillin. Her nose has quit running and seems to feel a little better but is still wheezing and has been for almost a month now. She is albino and I am assuming that it's allergies but she has never had the wheezing. I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you!
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

Sorry to hear about Cream's condition. It sounds as if she had encountered either a flu, or an upper respiratory bacterial infection, which could have been secondary to an initial flu episode. Once you notice the green discharge from the nose, that's normally a sure indicator of bacterial infection.

In order for me to give you a thorough answer, I need a bit more information, please.

1): Approximately how much does Cream weigh?

2): What type of Penicillin did you give her (Procaine Penicillin G or the long-acting type with Benzathine)?

3): What was the length of time between injections?

4): Are you seeing any more discharge from her nose (and was the initial discharge coming from both nostrils)?

5): Does Cream seem to have any noticeable problems breathing, and if so, can you tell if she has more difficulty inhaling or exhaling?

6): Does she seem to be acting normally otherwise (as far as eating, drinking and overall attitude)?

7): Are you noticing any type of exercise intolerance?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Dan C.