Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

Veterinarian A common set of x-rays done prepurchase of a

Customer Question

for a Veterinarian A common set of x-rays done for the prepurchase of a sport horse would be a front to back view of the navicular bone, a lateral view of the navicular and foot and a flexor view of the navicular in both front feet. Front-to-back and side
views of all four fetlocks are also quite common. Because of the propensity for hock problems in any horse utilizing its hind legs, it is also common to have a full series consisting of front to back, side and two oblique views of each hock. If there is filling
in any of the fetlock joints, additional radiographs may be required. If it is a young horse, stifle radiographs may be necessary to rule out any bone disease. Are these the xrays that I should be taking for a pre-purchase on a horse?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question. You sound very well knowledged as far as covering the basics for X-Rays for a prepurchase. Yes, you are correct in the normal views taken for a navicular series. All of the major joints (fetlocks, hoof, carpus, hock) require four views for a full assessment. As far as the stifle, a lateral (side-to-side) and an AP (front to back) are necessary. If there are possible lesions apparent within the stifle (which could indicate OCD, especially in the young horse), then additional oblique views may be required.

So yes! with those view you should have your bases covered.

Again, thanks for the question, and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best,

-Dan C.

Hello again:

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be offline for a few hours. I'll check for any further questions you may have when I return.

-Dan C.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan;Thanks for the response! Sorry, I was at work when you responded. Ok, then, we will go with the list that I sent you for the prepurchase. We are looking at a holsteiner and an oldenburg in germany. Crossing our fingers as the last horses, they sent us only 12 xrays, but they weren't good, so we stopped, and are moving on to these others.Have a great rest of your day.
gretchen
California - Lincoln

Glad to have helped, Gretchen, and I hope all was clear. Please do let me know if any other questions come up, I'm always happy to help.

Best of luck with your new horse, and I hope that everything works out well!

All the Best,

-Dan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan;Ok, but how do I make sure that I get you for the next time I have a question?? etc.. Can we request specific people through a contact id? etc..Ok, I have alot of questions - so I am sure that you will hear from me again soon. I just discovered this service, and it is great - as my vet is frequently un available....Have a good night
gretchen from Cali-fornia

Hi Gretchen:

Thanks for asking. Yes there is a way to request me personally. Although I've never seen the "customer" side of the screen, there should be an option pertaining to requesting certain Vets. If there are any questions, you can always contact the help staff. They're a great resource for any questions you have on the site. I'm not always online (obviously, as I have my own practice to run), but I do check in daily and try to help as many people as I can.

So thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Goodnight from Orygun! (We're neighbors!)

-Dan.

Hi Gretchen:

Just checking to see if you have any further questions.

-Dan C.