horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

What two views of the hoof should I xray in a pre-purchase

Customer Question

what two views of the hoof should I xray in a pre-purchase exam??
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I would be happy to help you out. Ideally you would take at least 4 views of each foot to have a good idea of any potential issues. If for financial reasons you are limiting to 2 views, I would say it depends on the horse's history, any known issues, and what you are planning on using him for. However, a great start would be to get a lateral view to make sure there are no laminitis issues, then a 60 degree DP view. If he were a Quarter Horse a navicular view would be important, but if he is a young Oldenburg with no other known issues, I would say this is a good starting point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello there;thanks for your response. What is a DP view? ; and if I request a navicular view, do the shoes have to be off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, I thought that you might call, so I ran to grab my phone, and see that you sent me the response 5 minutes ago!If you are still there, I would like to ask about what views for the stifle and hocks? Or do I have to resubmit my request? etc...
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I apologize, I sent the answer out right around midnight my time, so did not see your request for a phone consultation. A DP view takes a picture from front to back and focuses on the coffin bone itself. One could argue that all 6 views of the foot are essential for a correct diagnosis on pre-purchase exam, so your best information would be by taking all 6 views. However, I think the lateral and front-to-back DP view will give you a starting point. Ideally shoes would be off for the xrays, if the owner will allow it, but they should not interfere with the navicular view. Please let me know if I was able to answer your question today and if you have any further questions!

Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
horsemed