Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse has a very deep puncture wound on the front of s

Customer Question

My horse has a very deep puncture wound on the front of his hock. the vet came out an hour after the incident and took an x-Ray,no bones fractured the wound was very deep and he wasn't sure if it reached the joint, vet made suggestion horse should get the wound surgically checked out. Unfortunately, that was not an option and the vet flushed and stitched the wound up and wrapped it. The next day vet gave the horse IV antibiotic fluids and will re-wrap tomorrow, when I just checked on him the wrap has fallen half way down the cut exposing some of the stitching. He gave me biozide gel but he said for when the time comes. Please help.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The veterinarian is coming tomorrow I assumed there would be an answer right away.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question. It appears that your vet is doing all the right things but since the wrap has fallen, it will help to keep contaminants out if you can somehow, even using duct tape, to replace this wrap. Only time will tell if this will heal well but everything has been done to make this happen. The problem that your vet will have is that this is in an area of movement making it difficult to keep the sutures intact due to constant pressure on these sutures. If these do not hold, it will end up healing by second intention or from the inside out and as long as this is clean and dry, it will heal even if this happens.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Victoria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta