DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

How do you stop a horse from vomiting

Customer Question

how do you stop a horse from vomiting
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear your horse is not feeling well. Horses do not and can not vomit. If your horse is acting distressed and has food stuff and saliva coming out of his nose and mouth then he is likely choked. This is when a bonus of food gets stuck in the esophagus and does not make it to the stomach. He can still breath but it is obviously very uncomfortable. often it resolves on its own in a matter of a couple hours. If this happens, do not feed him anything else for about 6 hours. Water is ok to have. If it does not resolve, you need to call a vet out to help get the stuck food to pass.

If your horse is not distressed and has a lot of saliva pouring from the mouth then your horse likely has what's called slobbers. This comes from moldy sweet clover. It is not dangerous as long as the horse has access to water and can make up for the fluid loss. The salivating will stop in a few weeks depending on the weather where you live and how the mold grows or dies on the clover in the pasture.

I hope this helps. Best of luck. Let me know if you have any further questions.