DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

Our horse is on a haul trip, 24 hours now and hasnt pooped

Customer Question

Our horse is on a long haul trip, 24 hours now and hasnt pooped or eaten or drank. How worried should we be?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. The extended period of time with out eating or drinking of passing manure is a bit concerning. Travel is very stressful for horses and can lead to colic or shipping fever- a type of pneumonia. If your horse is acting bright and alert try encouraging him to eat by stoping somewhere where he can get out of the trailer and graze fresh grass. Then offer some water. Or make an oatmeal meal out of pelleted grain and water. If he is acting depressed or lethargic or begins to show signs of colic like laying down, sweating, looking at sides etc, then you need to seek out veterinary help as soon as you can. I hope this helps. Best of luck.