Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I have a thor. horse, 17 years old. He suffers allergies,

Customer Question

I have a thor. horse, 17 years old. He suffers allergies, including vaccines (adjuvants) I can usually get his skin conditions cleared up. This time, not having such luck. We live in Vegas where it is hot and hotter. He gets super itchy on his mane and shoulders. Sometimes his mane will get a crusty discharge. I keep his stall very clean, fly situation is not bad at all. No gnats here. I use medicated shampoos, or tea tree, aloe, I put cold compresses on his shoulder areas. He is on Omegas. He gets a little Sr. feed, but am thinking I need to get that sugar out of his feedings. He is on a Timothy w/a small amount of Alfalfa at feedings.
Any other suggestions.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Reno's condition...I know how frustrating this can be...

I have had good results giving Benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the scratching. The scratching makes this much worse causing a secondary pyoderma that causes these crusts and discharge. Treat these areas with Betadine which will dry iup these areas so the bacteria cannot grow and medicated baths to remove these crusts.

If this is not enough Azium powder that you can get form your vet will help to stop the effects of the allergies and help your sweet Reno past this, even in this heat. It is worth a try....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have some luck with the Benadryl as well. One thing I had not used is the Betadine. This occurs several times a year so I will use this trick next time too. Thanks for helping.

Good for you...it is certainly worth a try....good luck!!