Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I have a horse who foundered 3 years ago. We keep her

Customer Question

I have a horse who foundered 3 years ago. We keep her corralled and not in the field. Hay season broken bales we threw in the corral for the horses now she is stiff and sore hard time walking like she is foundered again. Can she founder on fresh hay
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear that Psycho is not feeling well. The fact that she had foundered before, tells us that there is already damage to the lamina of the hoof making her more susceptable to another bout of founder. Psycho can absolutely founder on fresh hay....and since she is already damaged, this will only get worse. Remove all fresh hay and get her on Butazolidin right away. Low quality hay is best in this situation. Have your vet xray her front hooves to see if there has been any rotation of her coffin bone.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****