Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

Is it possible mare to have milk, eat well, be very fat, and

Customer Question

is it possible for a mare to have milk, eat well, be very fat, and round, dilate and expell white liquid for several days at about 12 months and 10 days or so. i always touched and pushed on her belly and something really moved from one side to the other..i board my mare.. we leave june 18 - july 2 out of town when we retun no foal yet than a week or so later we are told that she wasnt pregnant that she fooled us.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, and thanks for the question!
It certainly sounds as if you could be describing a pregnant mare! I have a few questions for you so that I might answer you more thoroughly. You mention 12 months and about ten days...is this from when she was last bred? Had she been confirmed to be pregnant? Did she lose weight while you were gone? Has Ruby ever foaled before? Is it your concern that she was pregnant and that now she's not?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Just wanted to let you know that I'm out to work for the day. I'll look for a reply when I return late this afternoon.
-Dan C.
Hello! Just checking to see if you still needed some help.
-Dan C.