Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My 15 y/o mare has a slightly swollen nd fetlock - she is

Customer Question

Hi - my 15 y/o mare has a slightly swollen hind fetlock - she is sound (we worked this morning, walk/trot/canter/extend gates/some 10m 1/2 circles, leg yield at walk - no bobble or sidedness at all), but the site is warm to the touch and she rests it by popping the fetlock forward. i have been away for a week, a few days before I left she spooked big and tore her hind boots, fetlock level. Left is not swollen, right is - not lame on either. Heat and swelling are concerning.
thanks,
Lorri
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings Lori,
MY apologies for the delay. I just got online and saw your question concerning Kaite. Sounds like a somewhat perplexing condition!
I'd like to ask you a few questions so I may answer you more thoroughly:
1): Is this the first she's been ridden since you've been away?
2): Does she wear shoes (I assume not, since you mentioned she tore her boots....What type of boots had she been wearing)?
3): Is there any pain noticed if you overflex or over extend her fetlock?
4): Does she have any history of lameness?
5): Have you administered any type of medication, sich as Phenylbutazone or Banamine? If so, was there any response?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward ot hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be signing off for the evening. I'll be checking for your responses first thing in the morning.
Many thanks,
-Dan C.