DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

My boarders mare has midline edema of her abdomen. Two

Customer Question

Hi! My boarders mare has midline edema of her abdomen. Two things happened recently. First, she wormed her with Equimax, after fecal count was 300. A week or so later she went riding, and host spooked and she fell off and western saddle slipped under her as she ran off. Now mare has midline swelling of abdomen. It runs from in front of her udder to about 10 inches down her abdomen. Swelling is about 4-5 inches wide. There is an irritated area in the middle. I don't know if it is trauma from saddle slipping, or possibly irritation from onchocerciasis because of worming. Sorry so long. Any thoughts?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I doubt it is from the deworming. More likely that the saddle rubbed a bunch and irritated the skin or repeatedly bumped the area and caused some ruptured blood vessels and therefore buildup of fluid under the skin...like a big bruise. I would recommend cold hosing and perhaps applying DMSO gel to help reduce the swelling. If the bald spot begins to ooze or get ulcerated looking or if she gets a fever, call the vet out to see her. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are already cold hosing.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I see that. Sorry the whole post didn't show up initially. Keep it up. If you have some Bute or banamine, you can give that as well.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Edema in this area can take awhile to resolve because gravity keeps it pooling in that area.