DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

We have a 26 year old gelded throughbred horse that is

Customer Question

We have a 26 year old gelded throughbred horse that is experiencing swelling in his right front leg all the way from hoof to top where leg joins torso. We give him 24 ounces of senior pellets, 24 ounces of beet pulp, 24 ounces of sweet oat mix, 14ounces of alfalfa pellets, and a 4oz. scoop of glucosamine pellets morning and night. Well actually he only gets the glucosamine at night. He is on pasture all day and shut in alone overnight.Do you have any suggestions as to what might be going on with him?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

If the leg is warm and a bit painful to the touch then he likely has cellulitis. This is a severe and sudden inflammation of the leg not uncommon in horses. Sometimes they will also gave a fever. It usually results from some seemingly mild trauma or puncture wound to the limb. Treatment consists of aggressive antibiotic and anti inflammatory therapy such as penicillin and banamine. You will need to call a vet to get these meds. You can help him out though by cold hosing the leg and then doing a sweat wrap. If you are not experienced with wrapping a horses leg then just do the cold hosing as you can cause more injury by wrapping it too tightly. Sometimes cellulitis will resolve on its own. It not if ten so I would recommend having a vet come see him and help. I hope this helps. Best of luck.