Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

My horse was in pasture all day with the herd and doing just

Customer Question

My horse was in pasture all day with the herd and doing just fine. Tonight I went out to feed and he just stood at the open gate. Not at all like him to do that considering it was dinner time. I haltered him to bring him in and he refuses to move his hindquarters. I got him to come into the stall and I have been checking him all night. He acts like he is in pain but I don't see any swelling or anything visibly wrong with him.
His normal stance is with his hindquarters slightly under his belly and he has always resisted lifting his hinds for me and my farrier. This has come on so sudden and he seems to be getting worse. I just went out a few minutes ago and haltered him and I absolutely could not get him to walk forward. I'm so worried and have no idea what could wrong with him. He is usually very energetic and this is completely out of the ordinary for him
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings:
My apologies for the delay. I just got online and saw your question concerning Dallas. Are you still in need of some assistance?
-Dan C.
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be signing off for the evening. I'll be checking for your responses first thing in the morning.
Many thanks,
-Dan C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is better now but I spent all night checking on him and waiting for an answer. Luckily in the morning he was back to himself. I still have no idea why he acted like he couldn't move his hindquarters and he looked so depressed. . Nothing like himself. I hope it doesn't happen again.
Thanks so much for letting me know, and I'm glad to hear he's back to normal. A few conditions do come to mind, however, so I just wanted to mention them in case this happens again in the future. One possibility is that he was undergoing an episode of "tying up", which is a rather complicated muscular process in which the muscles (usually in the hindquarters) become rigid and painful, causing the horse to remain still. Often if you feel the muscles during an episode, they will feel extremely hard compared to their normal tone, and the horse will resent you for touching him. It is normally brought on, however, by over-exercise, or a horse being worked too hard that isn't properly conditioned.
Another possibility, being that he's a Quarterhorse, is the possibility of HYPP, which is a genetic disease in which the body receives too much Potassium at once, causing a malfunction in the musculature. Episodes can involve everything from facial twitching, inability to move, recumbency, breathing problems, or in severe cases, heart attack. The good (?) news, however, is that your horse has to be related to the sire "Impressive". That is the only way that a horse can have the condition. If you know any of your horse's geneology, it might be worth looking into.
So those are just two possibilities, of which may or may not be related to what occurred last night. Anyway, I'm glad he's doing fine now, and I hope he never experiences it again!
Thanks again for getting back to me, and again, I apologize for the delay when you so needed the help at the time.
Take care, and all the best to you.
-Dan.