Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
75359699

Both of my horses back feet are tting the inside ankle of

Customer Question

both of my horses back feet are hitting the inside ankle of both front feet. Don't know if this is clipping, or forging, or over reaching. He is a tall horse with a short back and has just recently been shod. Did not know of this problem till today after our trail rude.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr A and would love to help.

From your description, it sounds like your horse is Forging, which is not uncommon in a short backed horse.

What can I answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to correct this problem
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

Good question! this is a timing issue, in that the front feet are on the ground too long or the hind feet are on the ground too short!

Trimming will be the key.
Front feet: shorten toes, roll, rocker, or set the shoes back from the toe. Aluminum MAY speed up the action.

Hind feet: a little harder. can raise the heel, or place a square toe shoe on. Also, try to place a wide web shoe set wide. This should help but may take a bit of trial and error.

Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything else i coudl answer for you? if not please take a moment to rate my answer.