Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I have a horse that is very sensitive to fly bites.

Customer Question

I have a horse
that is very sensitive to fly bites. Yesterday it was very swollen around her eye and some drainage. Do I just keep it clean and flush with saline for a few days to see if it clears up? She welts up from any bite so
that is why I assume it is from a bite.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Ginger. This time of year is really tough on some horses. Pollens, molds, weeds, & of course, bugs, can all make our horses miserable.

I would definitely flush the eye(s) gently with the saline. This will help to remove any irritants that may be adhering to the cornea. If Ginger will allow it, placing a very cool cloth over the entire eye for 5-10 minutes will be very soothing.

I would also recommend continuing the use of a fly mask to protect her eyes as much as possible, & even a fly sheet to protect the rest of her body.

If the swelling does not go down, or the drainage / discharge gets worse, you may be dealing with an actual infection in the eye, or a clogged up nasal lacrimal gland. These will probably require a veterinary examination.

But if Ginger does not show any pain in the eye by keeping the eye partially or fully closed or increased blinking, then the saline & a cool cloth several times a day should suffice.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns about Ginger.

Thank you.