horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

I have purchased a mini horse mare. She started sacking up and produc

Customer Question

I have purchased a mini horse mare. She started sacking up and producing milk. She is fat. I of course that there was a surprise waiting. She has since went to a vet (after 1 month of milk and no foal) and the vet wasn't able to see a foal on ultrasound or palpate effectively due to her small size. He mentioned a possible ovarian cyst and gave her a shot that was supposed to fix it. Well, she is starting to bag up again...I am not sure what to do next for her.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. I agree with you in that pregnancy is the most likely explanation for the milk and the weight. Even when a vet is unable to perform a rectal exam or transrectal ultrasound due to small size, there are diagnostics they can perform to determine if she is pregnant. A simple blood test can tell you if she is pregnant, and a transabdominal ultrasound can also be performed (from the outside of the belly) to see the foal. I would recommend calling another veterinarian to get a second opinion.
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to check to see if you have any questions? Please click the "accept" button or rate my answer if you found it to be helpful. Even though you placed a deposit, experts do not receive credit for their time until the answer is accepted. Otherwise, I would be happy to continue answering any questions you have!