Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

I bought a mare 5 days ago from a sale barn. As soon as I

Customer Question

I bought a mare 5 days ago from a sale barn. As soon as I got her home, I gave her wormer and a penicillin shot. 3 days ago she started having a lot of yellow snot coming from one nostril and a slight cough. Today I noticed she has some discharge from her eyes. I have given her penicillin each day since I bought her. This being day 5. She has not fever, wheezing or problems eating. But the discharge is nasty...it is drying and caking on her face. I am not sure how to treat her.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, and apologies for the delay. It seems that Dr. Seitz is unavailable and I didn't want you to have to wait any longer. .Are you still needing some help?
Hello again. If you still need some help, I'm happy to assist you, however I do need to ask you a few questions so that I might give you a more complete answer.
1): Was Charity having this nasal discharge when you first bought her?
2): Is the discharge still isolated to only one nostril?
3): Has there been any change in appetite or attitude since your initial post last evening?
4): What type of Penicillin are you giving her, and are you giving it more than once daily?
5): Are you seeing any swelling in her throat or under her jaw?
6): Does she ever seem unstable or unsteady when walking?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not receive a response in the time I thought I would so I contacted my vet. The mare has now cleared up and is doing well. Thank you for contacting me.
Glad to hear that you got the help you needed. My apologies again for the delay. And thanks for getting back to me.
-Dan C.