horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

My horse cut her leg 2 weeks ago just below left front knee

Customer Question

My horse cut her leg 2 weeks ago just below left front knee on the outside. Small cut less than 1" but swelled above the cut to her carpus. Cut was cleaned and cold hosed for several days. Vet came out and she has been on antibiotics for 6 days but is still swollen.
She is on stall rest and walked daily. We have done furazone sweats on/off every 12 hours and cold hosed 2x day. No heat or lameness present. What can I do now?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You have absolutely been doing the right things with the stall rest and handwalking, sweats, and cold hosing. It is possible that there is still a mild infection present. I would recommend taking her temperature twice daily and speaking with your vet about potentially increasing the duration of treatment with antibiotics or switching to a stronger injectable antibiotic with broad spectrum coverage. If this persists, there a few courses of action. Your vet could ultrasound the leg and could potentially take a swab from the cut and submit for culture and sensitivity, which would help determine which antibiotic would be optimal, and if there is resistance to the current antibiotic of choice. Please let me know if this makes sense to you or if you have any further questions!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should I wait before being really concerned? Can she be ridden at a walk and some trotting to help the blood flow in the leg?
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
I would not wait to discuss a prolonged treatment period with antibiotics with your vet or a different antibiotic. Once that treatment change has occurred, I would give it another week before asking for an ultrasound, culture, or further diagnostics. I would not recommend riding her as I think it may cause undue stress. Stick with your current regimen of stall rest and limited hand walking. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!