horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

We have a horse that is cramping or tying up. To much excercise

Customer Question

We have a horse that is cramping or tying up. To much excercise in the heat. Treatment?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. Best treatment would be to provide plenty of water, provide salt 1 tbsp in grain twice daily or electrolyte paste, and to allow free exercise in turnout. Do not force exercise him (no hand-walking). Watch his urination and if it is or becomes dark red, seek veterinary attention immediately as the substances that cause the discoloration can harm his kidneys. If you do decide to seek veterinary attention, they may provide him with IV fluids, muscle relaxants, and even some drugs to help improve blood flow to the muscle. If this becomes a recurrent issue, it may be worthwhile testing him for PSSM, a genetic cause of frequent tying up, so his condition can be managed. Please let me know if this helps or if you have any further questions!
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I just wanted to check to see if you have any questions? Please click the "accept" button or rate my answer if you found it to be helpful Even though you placed a deposit, experts do not receive credit for their time until the answer is accepted. Otherwise, I would be happy to continue answering any questions you have!
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

horsemed