Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My old gelding was walking sideways/slanted I put out a call

Customer Question

My old gelding was walking sideways/slanted I put out a call to the vet but he won't be here for a few hours
He ate, but is leaning against stall wall. He has arthritis and gets a quarter of bute in the a.m. And p.m.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. This is Dr. Loretta and I would like to answer your question. This behavior appears to be a neurologic problem and this could be due to a stroke which is a clot that is blocking off the nerve supply to a portion of the brain causing these symptoms. This could also be an infectious disease involving the Central Nervous System. It is very important that your vet examine Justin soon since if this is a stroke, rapid treatment is required to ensure that this is not a permanent neurologic issue. There is nothing you can do for your guy until your vet can d a neuroligic exam to determine the cause and then give the appropriate treatment. It is a good sign that Justin ate this morning but something has happened during the night to cause this condition. Does that make sense to you?