Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My 25 yr old appendix gelding is limping mildly on right front. No abs

Customer Question

My 25 yr old appendix gelding is limping mildly on right front. No abscess seen and no ouch with hoof testers. Also, when looking him from behind, noticed he holds his tail slightly to the right and when looking at his hips, soft tissue looks asymmetrical. Slightly larger on right.Any thoughts? When palpate over hips, no heat or hard areas. He is out on pasture during the day with another gelding and they do play.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.
hello< I am Dr A and would love to help you with your horse.The tail signs and the front end lameness are likely not related.Can you tell from what level the lameness in the front is coming from? If not, then You will need to have someone do some flexions and blocks (ie, a lameness examination) to figure out where on the leg the pain is coming from. Hoof testers are great for figuring out pain in the foot and sole, but miss out on problems in the coffin joint, or higher like the pastern joint.A lameness test with a veterinarian who specializes in lameness or sports medicine is the next step! then we can talk about imaging to figure out what the problem is.