horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

I have a 14 year old quarter mare. She will urinate within

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old quarter mare. She will urinate within 10 minutes of my riding. She has also had 2 instances of tying up this spring. I thought maybe it was PSSM and we changed her feed to Safe Choice ( 3 small soup cans daily) and 1 soup can of cleaned oats.She also seemed to take a longer time to shed out than our other horses this spring. She is a very nervous horse and I considered that maybe she could have an ulcer. How should I proceed? I have talked to my vet. My mare is not lethargic, or in bad body condition. She had one instance last spring of tying up before I had her in shape. Are the issues related or are there several going on? I would so appreciate any help.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am not sure if you are still in need of assistance but your question only just became available to me. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. The recurrent rhabdomyolysis (tying up) does certainly sound like it could be PSSM. HYPP would also be a possibility. I would recommend sending some hair for genetic testing. HYPP can be screened at UC Davis and PSSM can be screened at University of Minnesota. If it is PSSM, I would recommend switching her diet. Oats are very high in starches (over 50% non-structural carbohydrates) and can exacerbate PSSM. She could be switched to a low-starch grain such as Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care and I would also test her hay starch levels or start soaking her hay for 15min to leach out some of the excess carbs. A good turnout regimen and steady exercise regimen will also help. Please let me know if this is helpful or if you have any further questions!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yours is the first response I have received. I am currently doing all those things for her, except for the small soup can of oats she receives, which I will now eliminate. She has pasture for just over an hour each day as we just returned from a trip out west, where there was no pasture acess. She is never stalled and is in a dry lot the rest of the time. I have been very careful to start slow with her exercise regimen and she generally has 60 to 90 minutes of exercise daily. The questions that have not been answered are those pertaining to her immediate urination once I start riding her. Will blood work give me some answers to those concerns, as far as any urinary tract infections or any other causative factors?
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Regarding the urination, if she urinates normally and the urine appears yellow, cloudy, and otherwise normal for a horse, I would not be concerned. You can of course opt to perform some bloodwork and urinalysis just to be sure. The kidney enzymes can be checked on bloodwork to ensure normal function, and if you catch a sample of the urine when she urinates during riding, that can be submitted for further testing as well to screen for evidence of infection or other issues. Regarding her delayed shedding, you could also test her for Cushings when testing her bloodwork. Although she is a little young for Cushings, it would explain delayed shedding and excessive urination. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!
Expert:  horsemed replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I just wanted to check to see if you have any questions? Please click the "accept" button or rate my answer if you found it to be helpful Even though you placed a deposit, experts do not receive credit for their time until the answer is accepted. Otherwise, I would be happy to continue answering any questions you have!