DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

We are considering purchasing a 10 year old Thoroughbred. The

Customer Question

We are considering purchasing a 10 year old Thoroughbred. The pre-purchase exam revealed that she has chronic Lyme Disease. We are trying to get her current owner to cover the treatment. The Cornell Lyme titer values were : 315 (negative), 2608 (positive) and 14886 (positive)The vet has recommended 60 days of Minocycline along with probiotics. The cost is about $1400. The owners vet said 30 days of Doxycyline is sufficient. I have read that the infection often reoccurs with the Doxy treatment. What do you recommend as the best treatment.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I ca help. I would agree with the vet who said Lyme disease recurs after treatment. Your best bet is probably oxytetracycline followed by minocycline for at least 60 days. Sometimes rechecking titers is recommended. Even then, Lyme can be difficult to beat. Is the horse showing signs if infection? Just be aware.lyme can be a tough disease to deal with, especially if the horse has significant signs of infection such as joint pain or neck pain or hyperaethesia (sensitivity to touch). I hope this helps. Best of luck.