DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

My 14 year old QH gelding won't eat or drink this morning.

Customer Question

My 14 year old QH gelding won't eat or drink this morning. He is just standing in his stall. He has never done this in the three years I've had him. Always a good eater and drinker.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, thanks for the question. I am sorry to hear that Wimpie isn't feeling well. It is most likely one of two things...either a fever or colic. If you have a thermometer (a human digital one will work) check his rectal temp. If it greater than 102 F then he has a fever. It could be because of a respiratory infection (any coughing?) or abdominal issues or potentially, very commonly this time of year if you are in an area with ticks - it could be Anaplasmosis which is transmitted by ticks. If he has a fever, you really need to get a vet out as soon as possible to figure out why. If no fever,then he may be colicky. This means he has a belly ache...it could just be gas, or an impaction or something more serious. Since you don't say he is rolling or sweating or distressed hopefully it would not be the more serious causes of colic. If you can- walk him around for about 30-40 minutes. Let me drink but do not let him eat. If you have any banamine on hand, you can give a dose. Hold him off of food for about 4-6 hours. If he starts to act more normal, then you can offer a small meal- like a quarter flake of hay and make sure he eats it and feels ok. Hopefully during that time he will also pass some manure. If he continues to be inappetant, begins to be distressed, laying down, sweating, looking at his side, pawing etc...then get the vet out to see him. Sometimes they need some additionally pain medication and fluids. I hope this helps. Best of luck with Wimpie.