Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My Morgan gelding started having diarrhea last night and still

Customer Question

My Morgan gelding started having diarrhea last night and still has it today. He is eating fine and drinking water. He had no fever and seems otherwise normal. What can I do to stop the diarrhea ?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
The first thing to try is to give Buddy a wormer such as Ivermectin since this can be a cause for this. An acute diarrhea may be due to parasites, Giardia or coccidia or a bacterial component. You can worm Buddy and give Pepto Bismol at 60 cc every 8 hrs if this is a minor digestive disturbance.
If these do not help, continue with the probiotics but take a sample of the stool to your vet for analysis to be sure we have not missed something.
This LINK will explain in more detail:
http://www.petmd.com/horse/conditions/digestive/c_hr_diarrhea
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta