DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

I have adopted a miniature gelding who is very low

Customer Question

Hello-
I have adopted a miniature gelding who is very low weight . I have started a worming program with Strongid today and have him on grass hay with weight gain supplement added to 1/2 cup of sweet feed. He is very lethargic, and his gums are almost white. My next step is to see the vet but until then what else could I do?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. If this mini is a rescue type situation and has been on a starvation type diet, then you need to be very careful about feeding too rich of food too fast and causing refeeding syndrome. This is where the starved horses body can not handle all the food and it leads to drastic changes in blood insulin and can actually lead to colic and death. Read more here http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/refeeding-starved-horses?id=&sk=&date=&%0A%09%09%09&pageID=2 It is better to keep the diet simple initially. So no weight gainer and no grain. Just a good quality hay fed in frequent small meals. Also, don't give any stronger dewormer than the strongid until the mini is examined by the vet. Otherwise..make sure he has access to water and keep him warm and dry...being low body weight and potentially anemic (pale gums) he may not be regulating his body temp very well. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMelJ