Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My horse has received Tildren three times over the past 4 years.

Customer Question

My horse has received Tildren three times over the past 4 years. The Vet recommended Tildren in place of the yearly injections in hocks, fetlock, withers, sacrum etc. He felt it addressed more issues overall and I believe it worked well. It has been two years siince his last treatment and he is showing signs of lameness. Looking into the new drug Osphos, is one better than another? Would Osphos be a good overall treatment or is it primarily just for navculiar...which my horse does not have.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today. Both Osphos ( Clondronate disodium ) & Tildren ( Tiludronate sodium ) are bisphosphonate drugs, so are classified as similar drugs. Both drugs have been approved for the treatment of navicular disease in horses, but its exact mechanism of action is actually unknown. It helps in the turn over of bone building cells called osteoclasts in people, but it is unclear that is what happens in horses. If the drug has worked well in the past for your horse, then either drug should be effective. The biggest difference is in how the drug is administered to your horse. The Tildren requires a slow intravenous infusion which can take up to 90 minutes while the Osphos is given in the muscle. This alone makes the Osphos generally a less expensive treatment when compared to the Tildren. Since it has been 2 years since the last treatment for your horse, I would be inclined to try the Osphos. I have switched to this one & it has saved by clients quite a bit of money. I do use it in other musculo- skeletal issues besides navicular, but I make sure that my clients know that this is considered off-label. I hope this is the information you required. Please let me know if you need anything more or if I can help in any other way. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. Your answer has helped me decide to choose Osphos as the next course of treatment.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Great. I hope your horse responds well to the treatment. Take care.