Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I have a horse with Colic, he broke into the shed and ate half

Customer Question

I have a horse with Colic, he broke into the shed and ate half a pack of cool and calm. He is having trouble passing his poo. No poo today but is passing gas. Has bowel sounds. Drinking a little. Getting up, walking then trying to poo, cannot, gets pain and lies down. What can I do. No vet in town today. I thought cod liver oil may help?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Star's condition...the best treatment for this is mineral oil, 1 gallon every 6-8 hrs. This will neutralize the gas produicng bacteria and help the compacted stool slide through. You will have to do thsi with a large dose syringe but it is important. Also, if you can get eother Butazolidin paste or Banamine paste, this would be good to give Star every 12 hrs for the discomfort and to decrease the inflammation. This is only by prescription but one of your nieghbors may have some they keep for cases such as this. Good luck! Keep walking Star periodically to stimulate the GI tract. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****