Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinary Surgeon

Bump on right exterior of horses knee. Been there serveral

Bump on right exterior of horse's knee. Been there serveral years. No problems with gate or soreness. However, bump does interfer with range of motion of knee. ie. I can only comfortably bend his leg inward (like when checking shoes) about 70% of total anticipated flexion. What would you do?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

Well firstly it's good it's been there a while, but frustrating that it is interfering with motion of the joint.

There are several possibilities to its cause, the most likely thing is that it is bone and possibly a result of arthritis. Sometimes the joints can produce too much joint fluid and a bursitis develops which can appear as a long standing swelling around a joint.
Other possible lumps would be actual tissue masses like a sarcoid or other such tumour.

A bony swelling would be hard, bursitis would be soft and squishy whilst a sarcoma would have similar texture to skin.

If its bony it will not be able to removed as this would provoke more reaction, a bursitis can be drained but would likely refill and a sarcoid/skin mass could possibly be treated to some degree.

So firstly you need confirmation of the nature if the lump before exploring it be possibly rectified. So s vet check to ascertain the tissue type causing the swelling and seeding of the restriction in movement is physical or from pain.

I hope this is of some help, do ask further if not

Best wishes

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Makin.

To clarify the question, is it an encapsulated bump, similar to a hard cyst. To the eye, it remains the same in size over time. Assuming non-cancerous, what would you do, if anything, for a bump that limits range of motion, but does not appear to cause ongoing pain. The horse is pastured and not kept in a stall and able to walk at leisure.

Thanks for the further info. I think the easiest way to determine a plan forward would be to assess the nature of the mass. This can be straightforward and a fine needle can be used to take a sample of the cells in the lump, placed on a slide and sent to the lab to assess the tumour/ lump type. Then a decision can be made as to whether it is amenable to surgery of some sort. Now that could be a debulking procedure to reduce the size of the lump but not remove it, or remove it completely. These could both be done under field anaesthetic conditions possibly.

An x-ray would also help determine the margins of the lump and if it involves the joint as this would affect the ability to surgically treat the lump.
If a sarcoid is diagnosed then there are many treatments available from potent creams, to freezing, to surgery.

I am sorry these are very broad statements but they should cover most eventualities.

Good luck