Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.
19741892

Sores under chin and between jaw bones - what causes them?

Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

What do the sores look like?

How long has this been going on?

Is the horse itchy?

Is there any swelling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I noticed a small bump (quarter size) on one side under chin, about two days ago, along with about the same size spot on other side of chin that the hair had come off. so I looked closer and found another larger sore underneath between the jaw bones. Today the lump is gone and it seems to have drained and hair pulled off. Same horse had an issue with what i think was rainrot earlier in year, small pustules that when you pulled off scab hair came with it. I used an antifungal type shampoo and it cleared them up. The ones under chin/jaw are larger, so am concerned. Am going to shave area and clean good with same shampoo, but wondered if it also could be rainrot - the bump threw me..
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Rain Rot is caused by a bacteria that lives on the skin. If the horse has had a previous problem you could be seeing more of the same. Fungal infections can also look like Rain Rot. If there was only one lesion, a simple abscess would be most likely. With multiple spots a superficial infectious cause is more likely. More serious problems, like Strangles, would cause severe hard swelling on the lymph nodes under the chin. As for the swelling, an allergic reaction is also possible. The only way to know for sure is by having a skin scrape examined under a microscope. Clipping, scrubbing and topical antibiotics would be the first thing to try. I would use Thermazene cream on the lesions.I would scrub and treat the skin twice a day. If more lesions pop up or the sores do not heal, oral meds form your vet may then be needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you - I'll try that.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!