Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery experience.

my 20 yr ols horse was dripping urine through out the day for

Customer Question

my 20 yr ols horse was dripping urine through out the day for the last yr tried many treatments in the last week it has become a constant flow and isurinating all over his hinds legs even when sleeping i noticed this am he has only one stool in his stall I feel it is time to let go now is he suffering?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Is he getting urine burns on the skin?

Do you feel the quality of life has decreased?

Have you seen him eating normally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
his hind legs are now getting urine burns that i cant keep on top of including top of his legs when lying down, seems to be eating but starting too loose wait now that grass is limited here in ontario canada, also last 4 days front legs stock up at night
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
The situation does not sound too good. it does not sound like the incontinence issue can be fixed. Urine burns usually become infected quickly when they occur, leading to even more problems. If the legs are stocking up it can lead to vasculitis and even more problems. If you feel his quality of life is fading and the problems cannot be fixed, putting him down may be the best option for him considering the weight loss and skin problems.