Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of experience in private practice, including equine medicine and surgery
31531426

Horse legs buckle

My jumper is 15 now and every once an awhile his legs buckle. He does this at a walk and sometimes a trot. It's his front and back legs. Is there something wrong going on?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Steve :

HI, I'm Dr steve

Dr. Steve :

Without examining the horse it is difficult to say exactly what is causing his problem. One possibility is that he may have mildly stretched or loose or ligaments. Tendons and ligaments are what help keep leg joints tight and working properly. If a horse has this problem, when the right set of circumstances occur, the legs can buckle. This can be a difficult condition to diagnose , but an ultrasound may be helpful.

c

Customer:

Sometimes when he walks it's like when someone comes from behind and hits your knee and it buckles. Would that be from ligaments. Sometimes it's in the front and the back. He almost went down on me at a trot one time

Customer:

I only jump him once a week

Dr. Steve :

ANother possibility is that he may have a pinched nerve coming from the spinal cord. Some horses can have a narrowed space in the vertebrae where the nerve leaves the spinal cord. If the vertebrae in the neck are flexed or twisted in the right position, there can be pressure against the nerves leaving the spinal cord. THis can cause a temporary tingling or loss of feeling in the legs affected byu this nerve. There is a conditon inhorses called "wobblers" where there is instability inthe vertebrae in the neck. THis condition can put abnormal pressure on the spinal cord causing temporary loss of function on the legs. Again this is a difficult condition to diagnose , but the symptoms are consistent with these possibilities. You may want to have a chiropractor or acupuncture provider examine your horse to see if they can help his condition.

Customer:

I think your right. When I flex him to the right he almost goes down. I'll have the chiropractor check it out. Thanks for your help

Dr. Steve :

I think you are on to something with that last comment. I think Wobblers is worth checking out. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luckl. If you have more quesitons, please continue