Dr Lisa
Dr Lisa, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Companion Animal Veterinarian, Veterinary Acupuncturist, Homeopathic Medicine

if you use ACTH 80 on a race horse what is the correct dose

Customer Question

if you use ACTH 80 on a race horse what is the correct dose and is there a withdraw period and will it test positive

While this may be illegal in the US, I am in Africa 

Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Dr Lisa :

Dr Lisa :

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. This medication is a steroid. Elevated levels of cortisol can be detected in the blood. If administered by intramuscular injection, it will stay in the system for more than 24 hours. The common dose of the medication is 2.5-5.0 ml IV. 4-6 hrs prior to the event. It is illegal in the United States.

Customer :

hello for the info that i have search it seems they have acth in the body already, so how can any test prove if they have injected or not, eg. there will be a higher amount in the mornings from 6-10am do you have any idea?

Dr Lisa :

You cannot prove and injection unless you would take serial measurements and show that the amount you injected made the horse exceed cortisol levels that are normal. There is a 2010 study using ACTH 200 (see the abstract here):

An investigation was undertaken to demonstrate whether therapeutic treatment with ACTH raises hydrocortisone (cortisol) levels in horse urine above the limit (1000 ng/ml) established by the International Conference of Racing Authorities with the aim of controlling the abuse of cortisol and ACTH in equine sports. ACTH (200 iu) was administered i.m. to 3 Thoroughbred horses; urine and blood samples were collected at intervals afterwards and analysed by an immunoenzymatic system (ELISA) and HPLC-MS. To ascertain post exercise cortisol levels in untreated horses, 101 urine and 103 serum samples were taken from horses immediately after racing and analysed by ELISA. The peak urine level of cortisol, detected 8 h after ACTH administration, was around 600 ng/ml using either ELISA or HPLC-MS. The peak serum cortisol concentration was found to be around 250 ng/ml by ELISA, but consistently less by HPLC-MS. Mean cortisol levels in post race horses were 135.1 ± 72.1 ng/ml in urine and 90.1 ± 41.7 ng/ml in serum. High levels of the metabolite 20β-dihydrocortisol in urine and the cortisol precursor 11β-desoxycortisol in serum were found. The latter showed high cross-reactivity with cortisol on ELISA. In our experiment, treatment with ACTH 200 iu i.m. did not raise urinary cortisol levels above the 1000 ng/ml threshold proposed by the ICRA.

Expert:  Dr Lisa replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Dr Lisa says:
9:05 AM